Avocado, pesto, tomato and toast are just about the most perfect marriage I can think of! This is a daily go-to lunch for me when I want something simple, fresh and always…healthy!
If you asked me if I could only take 5 foods on a deserted island, I’d ask you if avocado trees were on the island before I made my decision! It is one of my favorite foods! I have half an avocado every day. Sometimes like this or with my eggs. Pesto is a great substitute for mayonnaise, being made of olive oil, pine nuts and herbs. What I love about it is that it has such a strong presence it can take any piece of bread to that next level.
This is an easy snack that I have usually in the middle of the day. It’s light, healthy and I love that it only has 5 ingredients. If you’re gluten free, my favorite gluten free toast is Food For Life, located in the freezer section of your local Whole Foods Market.
The ingredient you definitely don’t want to leave off is the magic one: Herbes de Provence. I use this on eggs and with one jingle and shake of a lambs tail, you have a magical egg. It adds a freshness you don’t want to miss. Scroll down for the recipe to this simple toast I eat weekly!
Benefits of Avocado
- It’s loaded with healthy fats, fibre and nutrients your body needs
- High in potassium, which is linked to lowered blood pressure. most people are not getting enough potassium in their diets these days
- This high fat food is packed with oleic acid, linked to reducing inflammation in the body
- Loaded with fibre
- High in antioxidants
Fun Facts About Avocados
- It’s one of the fattiest plant foods in existence
- It’s named the Alligator Pear
- They have natural packaging (the skin) which make it perfect for traveling
- There are over 500 varieties of avocados in the world
- They grow on trees and ripen once off the tree
How to Pick The Perfect Avocado
So you’re standing there amongst the sea of blackish oblong objects we know as avocados. They all look the same, sure. But the key here to choosing the most perfect avocado is feeling it. They may look the same, but they don’t feel the same!
Start by squeezing gently one of the avocados. If you can’t feel a softness below your squeeze, it’s not ripe yet. You don’t want it. If you squeeze one and it’s soft, this means it’s ripe. If it’s too soft, the whole thing feels mushy beneath the skin. You don’t want that one. It will most likely be over-ripe or too brown inside.
The key is to finding a avocado that’s not too hard, not too soft…but just in the middle of that. Then, if you want more for your week, continue finding this same degree of softness and over the week they will just barely ripen to the point of being able to eat them. I don’t recommend buying more than a week’s worth (3-5 avocados) otherwise you’ll run into some that are over-ripe by end of week.
Gluten Free | Healthy | Vegetarian
Healthy Avocado Pesto Toast
- 1-2 slices bread
- 1/2 avocado (usually around 3.5 ounces)
- 1 large tomato
- 1-2 tbsp pesto
- handful spinach
- salt + pepper + herbes de provence (you can get it online here, it’s often difficult to find)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray pan with coconut oil spray
- Place bread slices on pan, spread pesto then add the sliced tomatoes
- Top with salt, pepper and herbes de provence
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until toast is firm, then enjoy!
the magic ingredient: get it here online
Have you ever tried avocado toast and if so, comment below what’s your favorite combo?