Going gluten free a year ago seemed daunting at first. Once I started getting into the swing of things, I realized there are so many gluten free options out there. One day after yoga I went over to visit my aunt, who is also gluten free. She had just made this recipe and offered me a slice. It was heavenly. While I’ve always been a fan of banana bread, the chocolate nutella swirl takes it to a whole other level. This banana bread is super soft, moist and is a great snack if you’re wanting something sweet.
Gluten Free Banana Bread with Chocolate
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 tbsp water) *may substitute for a whole egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut or white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour *may substitute almond meal
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1/4 cup nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Prepare flax egg in mixing bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add banana and mash well with fork. You want this pretty smooth, less chunky.
- Add remaining ingredients through almond milk and whisk to combine. Add almond flour, gluten free flour and oats. Combine well.
- Pour into the pan and smooth with a spoon. Add the nutella swirl on top.
- Bake 1 hour and 5 minutes – 1 hour and 15 minutes. When done, it should be firm and golden brown on top.
- Let rest for 10 minutes in pan.
- Let completely dry before cutting or it will be too tender. It’s awesome the next day!
- Store leftovers at room temperature for up to a few days. Slice and freeze for longer term storage.
Nutritional information: 1 slice is 331 calories
Recipe via Vanessa Ramey