These were inspired by egg muffins I saw but I wanted more green veggies in them so I added alot of chopped up spinach. I’ll also put some ideas next to the spinach in the ingredients list so you can add more veggies if you’d like. These are perfect for ‘grabbing and going’ and getting some protein fuel in your body!
Anthropologie Platewear Sale Find
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Muffin tin
- Pam extra virgin olive oil spray or grapeseed oil spray (I prefer these over butter, obviously ;)
- Egg Whites
- Spinach –Any cooked peppers, onions/shallots, garlic, anything you’d put in an omelet
- Turkey Bacon –Find the lowest sodium brand. I used Butterball Turkey Bacon
- Deli Turkey –I’m usually not a fan of eating deli meat, but it’s quick and easy. If you want to substitute a thin slice of chicken or home cooked turkey, this is best.
- Black Pepper, Salt if you’d like
HOW IT WORKS:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray muffin tin, coating bottom especially.
- Individually wrap one piece of turkey bacon around the side of each muffin holder
- Place a piece of turkey meat at bottom, just go ahead and fold it or crumple in bottom to fill the hole
- Pour in egg whites to 3/4 full, add chopped spinach and pepper. You could premix this but its just easier this way I found.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until egg cooked through.
EXPERIMENT OF TURKEY MEAT VS. REAL BACON
Ok, we all LOVE bacon. Unless you don’t eat animal meat of course. It is mouthwatering and people are even claiming chocolate dipped bacon is the best thing they’ve ever tasted. I’m not sure I’m going there yet but we had bacon left over from an appetizer I do for our friends that has been a big, unhealthy hit;) Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos (I also do a healthier version which I will be sharing in this coming week’s HEALTHY SUPERBOWL SNACK Post! Keep an eye out Friday for healthy snack ideas and recipes to take to your Superbowl Parties. So that was my justification why I had bacon sitting around. I made one turkey wrapped ‘Grab N’ Go Protein Muffin’ and one bacon wrapped ‘Grab N’ Go Protein Muffin’ and here is what was lurking JUST at the bottom of the pan. Imagine what is still in the muffin you’re eating.
So just a fair warning, THIS IS WHAT IS IN YOUR BACON. It’s a lot of fat and I’d recommend eating bacon in MODERATION.
It’s apparent the turkey meat is a better choice.
I’m sure this post is bacon you hungry…..enjoy!!!
Tell me what you think, I have a feeling it will become a staple in your household.