Ever since I came back from Vermont last month, having eaten vegetarian for 6 days, I have seriously been eating vegetables at every meal. I invited my brother over for dinner last week and since I had some green peppers in the fridge that I had not gotten to yet and cooked rice, we decided to make these super simple stuffed peppers. We both agreed that cooking the peppers until they are soft to bite into, is the best way to cook them, even if the cheese got a little over-browned in the process! Enjoy these with the family, cook them in bulk for lunch for the week and keep getting more veggies in at every meal.
HEALTHY STUFFED PEPPERS
- green pepper(s)
- garlic clove
- 95% lean ground beef (may omit)
- cooked white or brown rice
- mozzarella cheese
- cayenne, crushed red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- Blanch green peppers for 5 minutes on both sides *fun tip: before cutting the peppers, cut the bottom parts off so they create a solid base so the peppers stand up tall in both the cooking and presentation!
- Preheat oven to 325
- Cook the garlic first, then add the onions and beef (may do together or separate)
- Stir in the seasonings & cooked rice
- Put the blanched peppers in a square glass dish, add the stuffing, filling to top of pepper & finish with mozzarella cheese
Bake until peppers begin to wilt or cheese becomes golden brown