It’s that time of year when our summer tan is long gone and feeling pasty white against our white Nikes is the norm. We know the tanning bed is bad for us, but we crave a sun kissed glow! It is easy to gravitate towards the sun & tanning beds because it’s an instant and even toned tan but we know the risks those rays provide. It is important to understand that being in the sun in moderation is healthy as we need sunlight to survive but to also wear sunblock anytime you are out in it. We love sunless tanning at Fierce Forward because it is a great way to give you that tan, vibrant look without getting in the sun’s rays. I have a guide to a great sunless tan you can do yourself…
- First, make sure you shave the day before you plan to apply your tanner. Making sure your skin is prepped, and applying your tanner thoroughly is crucial to a great sunless tan!!
- Next step for a great tan is to exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate!!! Exfoliation removes the dead skin cells, unclogs pores, cleanses the skin, and reduces breakouts. Pay special attention to knees, elbows and ankles
- Finally, apply a natural lotion to your knees, elbows and ankles only. This helps decrease any tanner from going into these crease areas due to dry skin
- Let’s get started! First, put on latex gloves. Shake your bottle of tanner to make sure it’s mixed up for even application. Start with legs, then torso and arms. If you have someone to help with your back, awesome. If not (like me), don’t fret! It’s totally doable on your own. It just takes a little creativity, flexibility, and willingness to try. Once you have made sure that you have thoroughly applied your tanner to your entire body, the very last application step is to apply the tanner to your hands. You don’t want a fabulous, tan body and pasty, white hands.
- For the hands, take off the gloves then apply lotion to your hands. Get a new, small sponge (makeup sponges work great) and put a small amount of tanner on the sponge. Blend the tanner into the tops of the hands, making sure to get the fingers
- Put on loose, darker clothing while you let your tan process
- If you want to tan your face, purchase a special facial tanner. These are made with different ingredients so that they won’t clog your pores and cause breakouts. I, personally, have never used them. I get enough color from my foundation, contouring and bronzer
Other considerations and tips for using a self tanner:
- Apply tanner at night. Before bed is an ideal time. Your tan will process and darken while you sleep. Just shower off the excess in the morning and you are ready to show your sun kissed glow
- To maintain a great tan, reapply once every 3 days or so!
See our favorite self tanners below
Our favorite Self Tanners:
- Gisele Ultra Dark Tanning Lotion $20.30
- Jergen’s Natural Glow Tanning Lotion $23.91
- Fake Bake Flawess Tanning Lotion $13.08
- Clinique Tinted Lotion for a quick day tan $23
Written & provided by Fierce Forward Ambassador, Melissa Stevens. Melissa is a hair & makeup Artist and Creator of Lips, Lashes & Locks! She will be doing the hair & makeup of Ashley & fellow Ambassador, Laurianne, at the Arnold Sports Festival.