I walked out of the barn to greet the first women to arrive at the Fierce Forward Retreat in Vermont and got the biggest, most genuine bear hugs from Misty and her rockstar mom, Dorothy. I got to know Misty well over the next few days and I can say that everyone was so inspired by her and her determination of change within her life that she has already accomplished. Being so close to losing 50 lbs, Misty shares how she comes back to herself, every morning.
1. What does Fierce Forward mean to you? Additionally, how has it played a role in your life?
Misty: Fierce Forward has evolved into a way of life, 2 different ways. It’s a mantra, telling me to keep going and also a reminder that there is a community of strong women who just get it and get me! Well, the impact of FF began with a subtle nudge allowing me to see within the potential of greatness in my own being. I may not see it as often as I’d like, but I know it’s there, harnessed within, waiting for me to make a move. I love that the subtle nudge has turned into a loud powerful kick in the butt if I need it!
2. You shared at the Fierce Forward Retreat that you have really begun to put yourself first and have started working out and eating right. What has your progress been so far?
I literally heard a click inside one day and finally made a choice to be happy and healthy. Even after being down for the count for 3 weeks with pneumonia, I never lost my determination and I KNEW that I would get back to me when I was able. And I did! I am just 2 lbs away from hitting the 50lb lost mark and have lost 17.5 inches in total!!!
3. You workout first thing in the morning! Why do you workout first thing in the morning?
Honestly, I started working out first thing because I wanted to get it over with and out of the way. This way I couldn’t come up with 10 different excuses why I couldn’t do it after work. Now, although 6am comes early, I look forward to that time to get my sweat on!
4. What keeps you motivated to get up and conquer your workouts?
The feeling of deep accomplishment in knowing that I am doing something I never thought I could. Having so many limitations on what I can/can’t do, I’m looking at it as a progress scale. I may not be able to do a move right now, but tomorrow, next week, next month…who knows what I can conquer! That motivates me.
5. What is the best advice you could give our readers right now, who find it hard to stick with it?
Making time for yourself is the key to getting what you want.
Getting up an hour early every morning, giving yourself 60 minutes without interruptions will let you get focused and allow yourself to see what it is you really can do, what fierce determination you really have within that you maybe thought didn’t exist. You are worthy and deserve this!
6. You brought your beautiful mother, Dorothy, to the 2016 Retreat and also, shared that she has been on her own Fierce Forward journey. What does it mean to you to have your mother be such a big support to you?
She is pretty damn awesome isn’t she! I can’t even imagine what my life would be like without having her in my corner. She is my rock, my best friend and has shown me what the unconditional love of a parent truly is and I feel blessed every single day for her.
7. What is your favorite quote that keeps you motivated?
Oh my, this is a tough one. I love quotes.
“There is no equal force to that of a determined woman.” ~W.E.B. Dubois
8. What do you love most about yourself?
I knew this question would be in here Ash! I am learning to see myself as the phoenix. I got a phoenix tattoo years ago but never really understood its true meaning until recently. I love that I am taking action instead of just knowing, I am doing. I am rising up out of the ashes that have tried to burn me and weigh me down my entire life.
9. What piece of Armor resonates most with you and why?
Focus. This was my word for the year and it has given me something to touch and hold and wear to keep me on track and bring me back to my centre, reminding me what my goals are and what I still need to do to accomplish them.
10. If you were talking to your younger self, what would you tell her?
I would wrap my arms around her tight and tell her to love herself. No matter who tells or shows her differently, she is enough and loving herself is the most important thing she can do to survive and thrive.
Follow Misty’s Journey here!
THANK YOU MISTY, KEEP RISING GIRLFRIEND, WE ALL ARE BEHIND YOU!