It’s that time of year, the call to comfort food is still strong but the tiniest signs of spring can be found if we look hard enough! Treat yourself to this savory and satisfying low-carb alternative to the classic favorite, spaghetti and meatballs. Fierce Forward Ambassador, Laurianne Faugstad, (follow her here!) makes this dinner for her family on the regular and I can’t wait to add it to next week’s grocery list. I personally follow a macronutrient approach to my daily eating so I can stay on track for my goals and by the end of the day, my carbs and fats are always on the lower end, with tons of protein to eat up and this recipe is perfect for a lower carb, healthy solution! Enjoy this meal with your family or put in tupperware for healthy meals for the week. I think the Farmer’s Market will be seeing a lot of me this coming summer!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 Jars of your favorite Marinara Sauce
- 1.5 – 2lbs of your favorite protein (Ground beef, Turkey, Bison, even Sausage)
- Your slow cooker!
- Optional: Garnishes basil leaves and or parmesan cheese
- Start by cutting your squash in half and scooping the seeds out of both halves. Then place them, cut side down, in your slow cooker.
- In a separate pan brown your protein. Once brown and drained, stir in your jars of sauce.
- Pour your marinara into the slow cooker over your squash
- Cover with the lid and cook on low heat for 4 hours
- Use a fork to pull out your squash halves. The squash will fall out easily as you scrape the sides with a spoon. These are your “Noodles”!
- Top with the sauce from your slow cooker and enjoy! Feel free to garnish with basil leaves, parmesan cheese or fresh herbs.
Photos captured & provided by Laurianne Faugstad