This rice is zesty, spicy and has the perfect flavor to go alongside any chicken or fish (try blackened salmon with it!). Cooking this in bulk is a great staple for the week. Put in individual 1 cup containers and take with you to work to stay healthy and committed during the work week.
The inspiration to this recipe was from browsing IG one day. I follow many fierce, health-minded women on Instagram and one of my favorite inspirational women is @thickfitmom. She posted a photo of cilantro lime rice and she sent me in the right direction of how to create this and I added the jalapeno to make it spicy! Enjoy
- 2 cups basmati or long grain jasmine rice *may use any white rice, I like Indian best
- 1 yellow or spanish onion
- 3 jalapenos
- garlic clove
- a bunch of fresh cilantro
- a lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Dice onion, jalapenos and garlic
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil and add diced onion and jalapenos
- When onion and jalapenos are cooked, add in the rice, garlic & salt. Cook until rice is translucent and the garlic has a fragrance in the air
- Stir in 3 cups water, place lid on pot and bring to a simmer. Cook on low for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed *do not stir rice as you want rice to be dry not sticky
- Remove from heat and gently stir rice. Add in chopped cilantro (as much as you want) and the juice of one lime
I served this to my husband, Mark, and he keeps asking for me to make it every week now. It’s a really great way to add flavor without the extra calories of sauces!