Two weeks ago, I traveled to Indianapolis with my mom to listen to Martha Stewart speak and network with other women. I heard about the Conference through a friend and when I heard Martha would be speaking about her Challenges and Triumphs along the way of building a Brand, I booked it!
Here are the things I typed LIVE while Martha and her good friend, Charlotte Beers, talk on stage about the challenges of being a leader and of going after what you want in life. I learned so much and left INSPIRED…
- I was not afraid to try new things. that has proven to be a sound decison. change is good, curiosity is excellent and a fearlessness is also good. You see a path and you take it. Fear doesn’t enter into the equation. You have to go for it. I think that’s an important trait of someone who wants to succeed is to go for it. make a plan but with that plan have a personal initiative that will allow you to do it.
- Overcoming adversity-it’s called trudging. you trudge forth and you just have to believe in what you believe in. and persuade other people that the direction in what you’re going is appealing, necessary. My personal motto is do I need it, do I want it? That’s very important in an entrepreneurial spirit. I use myself as my best customer if I need and want it others do too.
- didn’t start my magazine til 50 wrote first book at 40.
- 81st book living the good long life. we all are getting older every single day, we have to learn how to take care of ourselves and others around us that are in the aging process.
- Exercise-it’s so important.
- after her time in prison, she realized it’s ok. just be yourself. nothing else will change anything. know your friends, know your family and it’s a huge relief to realize what happens.
- The most powerful presence is what’s going on raw and uncaged, you can’t mess with that
- Fear & fearlessness we all have it the trick is to Balance them. Martha has a kind of frontier bravery so she doesn’t really know when the rest of us are afraid. You find this distinction what kind of bravery you need depending on your universe. I learned about myself that I was a change agent. It’s not the same as Martha’s frontier life as I walked side by side next to her as she invented more nad more and I was trying to do something different.
- You lose the most in adversity also, ti’s not how hard you fall it’s how fast you recover. the attitude you have towards work will help you handle it. You’re going to work a long time, work is only to allow you to become your best, biggest self. It’s about this growth of yourself. you get to use a different part of yourself that you don’t necessarily get called on for those other roles. work is a magnification of yourself and a chance to bloom. remember it’s only practice, if you fail, there’s another time. How to communicate and what brands are built of.
- You can’t sustain if you don’t have a good body to work with. Another way to have a good age is to find real meaning in your work and in order to have that, you have to believe you can be influential. I don’t think any woman should sign up for being less than influential. and the way of doing that is mastering the art of persuasion and communication.
- When we were working at who we were. (about their journey)
- we really have to lighten up as women. once you learn how to grab your communication skills then you can disarm and be immodest. please be immodest.
- My lessons from martha-be curious be truly curious about how everything in the world works. that’s the heart of the creative purpose.